July 23, 2024

Visit London

Explore long distances, find yourself

World famous attraction could soon charge tourists $25 to enter – despite currently being free

2 min read

A FAMOUS tourist attraction based in London may begin charging visitors.

Rated among the city’s top highlights, the landmark has been free to the public since it opened in 1759.

A popular tourist destination in London may begin charging an entry fee for the first time since it opened 265 years ago (stock image)

2

A popular tourist destination in London may begin charging an entry fee for the first time since it opened 265 years ago (stock image)Credit: Getty

Older than the United States, the popular attraction has always been publicly accessible to both London residents and tourists alike.

Every year, the iconic destination opens its doors to an average of six million visitors, who have traveled from around the world.

However, the British Museum may now charge tourists to view its contents.

The museum was the first of its kind, showcasing all fields of human knowledge.

Exhibits in the museum feature everything from ancient Greek sculptures to Egyptian ruins.

The British Museum’s former interim director has said tourists should be charged $25 for entry.

Sir Mark Jones’ suggestion comes in the wake of the attraction’s controversial $64 million deal with BP to fund renovations.

“The British Museum is too small to do its job,” he told The Sunday Times.

“A master plan would include an increase in space and more space given over to facilities for visitors.” 

inside stunning Greek holiday resort

According to Jones, who took over the helm last year, the budget required for the project will have to come from the public.

He explained that funding the renovation through additional taxation wasn’t considered feasible given that “public finances are very stressed.”

Instead, he recommended charging an entry fee for visitors to the museum.

Currently, permanent fixtures are free for the public to view but there is a charge in place for non-members wishing to visit the special exhibitions.

Jones pointed out that the suggested rate should be considered “reasonable” given similar price points charged for entry to the Louvre in Paris and the Acropolis Museum in Athens.

RENOVATION PLAN

He explained that British tourists and those ages 25 and younger would still be given free entry to the museum under the plan.

Jones said entry fees would help to fund the museum’s extensive $512 to $640 million renovation plan.

He added that the admission charge would also fund other projects, lowering entry prices for special exhibitions.

Jones, who took over as director in August 2023 after 1,500 objects were reported missing at the museum, suggested other free London attractions also consider charging entry fees.

He named the National Gallery, the Science Museum, and the Natural History Museum among his recommendations.

Nicholas Cullinan was named the permanent director of the museum in March.

The former acting director of the British Museum recommended other London attractions follow suit (stock image)

2

The former acting director of the British Museum recommended other London attractions follow suit (stock image)Credit: Getty

link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.